Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hurricane Ike...Oh and a Little Wedding Update

Oh my goodness! Was THAT an experience I NEVER want to experience EVER AGAIN! I can only imagine what the victims in Galveston feel like. As a lot of people already know, we had a hurricane come through a couple of weeks ago that sent the eye of the storm straight up over
I-45. Tyson and I are right on I-45. Right before the storm, Tyson was called to duty for 12 hour shifts everyday, with no days off, until everything settled a little bit. I "hunkered down" at my parents. The storm was AWFUL, knocking down trees on top of houses and blowing debris EVERYWHERE. I happened to walk outside while the eye was right over us and then a little after, and the wind and rain was unbelievable. During the storm, power went out EVERYWHERE. That was the devastating part for me. We were without power for almost a week and a half. THAT WAS THE MOST MISERABLE EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!! Warm drinks, no air conditioning, no connection to the outside world, cold showers, dry foods, sitting in the dark with nothing but a candle and flashlight, I could go on and on!

I returned to Tyson and my apartment after spending the weekend with my parents only to live with two dogs, no Tyson, no power, and no connection to the outside world for almost 9 days straight. Tyson was constantly at work (spent the night a couple of times at the PD), and I refused to drive around because I was hearing that there were almost 7 hour lines to get through gas stations, no food places open, NOTHING! It felt like "War of the Worlds." It got a little crazy and it was almost like a ghost town.

Humble (where Tyson works) was lucky enough to get power in a few places so he was catered food at his PD........LUCKY DUCK! As for me, the hurricane was my best diet! You get a little skinny after living off of dry cereal, granola bars, warm water, crackers, and dinner mints. Once things started to open up around here in The Woodlands, I finally gave in and had fast food.....EW! But, I just wanted a hot, decent meal. One of the nights, I drove up to Humble to get gas because Tyson was manning the station, and he would be able to cut me in if there was a line. But, we waited till almost 11 at night before I drove up there, and I was able to get right in to the gas station for gas. We both went back to the PD and we enjoyed ourselves a warm chick-fil-a sandwich and a cold Dr. Pepper. It never tasted so good!

After days and days went by with no power, it was starting to get a little depressing. It made me think of how grateful we should be to have everything we have these days. I don't know what people back then did. Sitting in the dark, alone with no Tyson, was driving me CRAZY, and it was driving me crazy to have no access to T.V. and news to know what is going on out there in the world. Also, I was sort of getting tired of reading the same magazines over and over and over. Also, I was tired of Tyson being gone at work all of the time, and he was kind of getting tired of constantly working. The experience was exhausting! On the ninth day, Tyson and I ran to the store (which was finally open) to get some necessities. When we returned home, POWER WAS ON! I squealed and almost cried with joy! We both hugged each other so tightly because we were so happy! The whole day it felt like I was living a different life. Tyson and I both felt wierd to have power back. Also, we were sort of scared and hesitant because we were so scared it was going to go away.

I cannot explain enough what a miserable experience this hurricane had brought us. The only way anyone can understand how it feels is to experience it themselves. I would never wish this on ANYONE. Like I said, if my experience was horrible, then I can only imagine what the people of Galveston are going through. Next time this happens, I'm taking the dogs and driving to Austin to be with family. I never want to go through this EVER again!

I'm happy to report that Tyson finally got a day off and is back on regular 8 hour shifts.
We are both so much happier!

As far as wedding plans, I'm hoping to select my bridesmaid dresses next week. Also, SURPRISE!!!.................I think I have changed my wedding colors. I think I FINALLY have a thought in my head that gets me excited. My old colors weren't thrilling me that much. I'll keep everyone updated, but I'm not going to say what my new colors might be just yet. I'm currently looking at wedding invitation options and trying to decide what I want. That is a difficult process in itself. Ugh! So many options.........................................that I'm NOT liking. Yeah...I'm quite picky.

Anyways! I hope everyone is doing well. Tyson and I are so happy to be back on a normal routine after this hurricane mess! Yay for things getting back to normal!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ok...you still haven't sent me a photo of your dress! Also...let me know if you want to do bridal shots before the wedding.